We developed the Perfmatters plugin with simplicity in mind. We use all of these optimizations on our own sites and are excited to provide an easy way for you to now have them too! No messing around with code or your functions.php file. Performance optimizations shouldn’t have to be complicated and so everything can be enabled/disabled with a single click.
The main way this plugin helps speed up your site is by disabling scripts that might not be used on your site. For example, by default emojis load on every single page of your site. If you don’t use them, this is simply slowing it down. By disabling it, the script no longer loads and so it reduces your overall number of HTTP requests and your page size.
Another helpful feature is our database optimization. Over time things like revisions, auto-drafts, spam comments, and transients start to fill up your database and before you know it, it’s impacting the performance of your site. With Perfmatters you can easily clean all of these up and even put limits in place to prevent it from happening again. This ensures a fast and snappy database.
Many of the Perfmatter’s options can be applied by simply toggling them on. Here’s a quick look at a few we recommend utilizing:
Disable emojis, embeds, dashicons
Remove query strings
Remove query strings from static resources to improve caching and fix warnings on speed tests.
Disable or limit post revisions
Disable or limit the number of post revisions that WordPress stores to keep your database from growing out of control.
Change autosave interval
Keep fewer auto-drafts by changing your autosave interval. It also decreases the annoying “there is a more recent version” warning.
Disable and tweak Heartbeat API
Disable comments and URLs
Disable WooCommerce cart fragments (AJAX)
wc-ajax=get_refreshed_fragments request can cause huge delays on WooCommerce sites. Disable cart fragments on your site.
Many more options…
Grab a coffee and check out all the other quick toggle options you can choose from:
Perfmatters is used by thousands of WordPress sites around the globe, from blogs to agencies and large WooCommerce shops. Ready to get a boost in performance? Get started today!
The Perfmatters plugin has a robust Script Manager built-in. This allows you to disable scripts on a per post/page basis or across your entire site with a simple click. All scripts are grouped by their respective plugin and theme so you can easily see which scripts are being used by what. This is very powerful and can drastically increase the speed on your WordPress sites (especially your homepage).
A few examples of what this can be used for:
- The popular Contact Form 7 plugin loads itself on every page and post. You can easily disable it everywhere with one click and enable only on your contact page.
- Social media sharing plugins should only be loaded on your posts. You can easily disable it everywhere and load only on post types, or even custom post types.
We designed the Script Manager to be easy to use, and yet there are many advanced features under the hood. For example, you can disable any combination of scripts using Regex.
MU mode (New) takes the Script Manager to a whole new level. You can control every aspect of a plugin, from its front-end scripts, inline code, and MySQL queries (disable plugins entirely).
We utilize the Script Manager on all of our sites to squeeze every ounce of speed from each and every page.
Database optimization New
Optimizing your WordPress database is important when it comes to keeping your site healthy and running fast. Over time things like this can easily start to add up to hundreds of thousands of rows. We’ve seen this more times than we can count! Just like you would oil and maintain your car, you should also do regular maintenance on your database.
The Perfmatters plugin lets you easily clean up and delete old and unused data. Here are just a few ways:
- Delete revisions (posts, pages, and custom post types).
- Delete old auto-drafts that are saved when you’re editing content.
- Delete WordPress spam comments in one fell swoop.
- Clean up your trash from comments and posts.
- Delete expired transients and keep your
- Optimize your database tables to reclaim unused space.
You can also save your settings to come back later or schedule automatic database optimization on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. This is great for those of you with clients or too busy to keep up with regular maintenance.
Lazy loading is essentially delaying the loading of images, videos, or iframes until a user scroll downs the page (they enter the viewport). For posts and pages with a lot of images or videos, this is so important to reduce the number of requests happening right off the bat. In our tests, we’ve seen on average a 33% decrease in load times.
If you aren’t lazy loading yet, you should be. Here a few lazy load features in the Perfmatters plugin:
- Lazy load images, inline background images, iframes, and videos (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.).
- Swap out iframes with preview thumbnail and SVG play icon which loads the video on click. This is the fastest way to load YouTube videos.
- WebP support.
- DOM monitoring for better infinite scroll compatibility.
- Faster than the default native lazy loading in WordPress.
Change your WordPress login URL
Sometimes the smallest of changes can make a huge impact. By default, WordPress uses
https://yourdomain.com/wp-admin/ for your login URL. The problem with this is that bots, hackers, etc. all scan for these when looking for vulnerabilities and entry points into your site. We’ve worked with many sites that see 10,000+ failed attempts per day trying to gain access.
By simply changing your WordPress login URL to something more obscure, you can combat this. It’s also great for performance as it decreases bots scraping common areas of your site.
You can change your login URL in the Perfmatters plugin in just a few seconds.
A Content Delivery Network (CDN) helps speed up your WordPress site by storing your assets on different servers (POPs) around the globe and delivering those from cache closer to the visitor. The Perfmatters plugin helps hook up a CDN to your WordPress site.
Here are a few features of Perfmatter’s CDN rewrite:
- Input your CDN URL and all of your assets, images, etc. will be rewritten to point to your CDN.
- You can choose which WordPress directories you want to include.
- Exclude file types and even assets with strings from being rewritten.
Host Google Analytics locally
Hosting Google Analytics locally can help speed up your site by reducing extra DNS lookups and resolving the “leverage browser caching” issue from their script.
Ironically Google’s own script throws a warning about caching, but this is because they have their HTTP caching header expiration set really short. When you host it yourself, your own CDN or server’s HTTP caching headers will automatically be applied. In other words, you have full control over the caching of the script.
The Perfmatters Google Analytics feature includes:
- Choose between three script types: analytics.js (17 KB), minimal (only 1.5 KB), and minimal inline.
- Change the tracking code position between the header or footer of your site.
- Anonymize your IP for data privacy and GDPR purposes.
- Choose whether or not to track logged-in admins.
- Disable display features. This gets rid of a second HTTP request.
- Adjust your site’s bounce rate to better evaluate the quality of your traffic.
- Integration with MonsterInsights for additional analytics features while still taking advantage of a locally hosted script.
Add code to header, body, footer
There are times when you might need to add custom code to your WordPress site’s header (head), body, or footer. With the Perfmatters plugin, you can easily include custom code where you need it.
The header, body, footer code feature includes:
- Print out code directly on the front end. This could include inline CSS inside
<style>tags or inline JS inside
- You can load a JS or CSS file.
- Code added to the header will print in the
<head> </head>section on your site.
- Code added to the body will print below the opening
<body>tag on your site.
- Code added to the footer will print above the closing
</body>tag on your site.
rel attributes can help speed up the loading of scripts and resources on your WordPress site. You can easily add these attributes with the Perfmatters plugin. They are even recommended by Google when appropriate.
- Instant Page lets you automatically prefetch URLs in the background after a user hovers over a link. This results in almost instantaneous load times.
- Preload allows you to specify resources like fonts or CSS that are needed right away during a page load. This helps fix render-blocking resource warnings.
- DNS prefetch allows you to resolve domain names (perform a DNS lookup in the background) before a user clicks on a link, which in turn can help improve performance.
- Preconnect allows the browser to set up early connections before an HTTP request, eliminating round-trip latency and saving time for users.
- Defer jQuery core (optional).
Example sites using Perfmatters
Here are some examples of fast WordPress sites that are using the Perfmatters plugin. It’s important to remember that the plugin isn’t a magic wand. It won’t magically fix everything wrong on your site. You should still optimize your site and then the Perfmatters plugin can help speed it up even more.
This plugin is designed for those who want to shave off every ms of load time from their WordPress sites! We focus on total load times, perceived performance, and UX, which is important for Web Vitals (what Google uses now for ranking.
And of course, we utilize the Perfmatters plugin on this site (ecommerce), which achieves a load time of under 400 ms. You can also see how small our page size is. This is partially due to the Script Manager, and quick toggle disables.
Have a lot of WordPress sites? No problem. The Perfmatters unlimited license supports WordPress multisite setups. This allows you to easily push the settings from your network default site to your subsites.
Multisite setups include the following features:
- Network activate the plugin and activate your license from the network admin.
- Assign different types of network access: Site Admins or Super Admins only.
- Quickly push your configured settings from your default network site to your other subsites.
Support and ongoing development
We use third-party plugins just like the rest of you, and there is nothing worse than subpar support. That is why we will never outsource this. With Perfmatters, you get help directly from the developers of the plugin. We have over 19 years of experience working with WordPress on a daily basis.
Developing plugins isn’t just a side hobby for us; it’s what we do full-time. We are continuously releasing new features and fixing bugs. Our plugins are always tested with the latest versions of WordPress.
We also believe having good documentation saves everyone time. That’s why we have 75+ step by step docs on how to use and best configure Perfmatters.
Your feedback is very important to us so that we can make improvements. If you have an idea or suggestion, we would love to hear it! Make sure to check out our current feature requests and the changelog for Perfmatters.
Performance is our top priority. That’s why this plugin doesn’t load anything on the front-end of your site. Have any questions? Just drop us a message, we are always happy to help.